Export to iTunes Library does nothing

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

GregBass

Export to iTunes Library does nothing

Post by GregBass »

I upgraded to v2.8.4 recently. Now the "Export to iTunes Library" function does nothing anymore. When I click on it from the dropdown menu, the dropdown menu disappears and nothing happens. When I check in iTunes, the track has not been added there.

It makes no difference if iTunes is already running (opened/started) or not.
I restarted my Mac, but the problem remains.

What could be the matter? Is this a bug?

My system:
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
MacOS 10.14.6
iTunes 12.9.5.5
Amadeus Pro 2.8.4

ekick

Re: Export to iTunes Library does nothing

Post by ekick »

I have the same problem.

iTunes 12.9.5.5 (Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library” option in iTunes’s “Advanced” preferences is checked)
Amadeus Pro 2.8.4
MacOS 10.14.6 (incl. latest Security updates)
MacBook Pro 15" (2018)

Rgds,
Erich
Last edited by ekick on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peter77

Post by peter77 »

The fix has been very simple for me and it works on MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and MacMini 2018 - all with OSX 10.14.6 (Mojave). Just downgrade to a version before Amadeus Pro 2_8. In my case I reinstalled version 2_7_2. The only difference to exports in former years is that MP3 is no longer shown in the pull-down menu (save dialoge window). You can only choose between verious types of AAC.

Since I do not need any stuff from newer version I will continue with 2_7_2. I also disabled the automatic search for updates until hairersoft lists this in the change list: "fixed screw-up with iTunes exports".

Unfortunaltely hairersoft offers no version 2.7 anymore. But if you have a time machine backup just replace your newer version into your applications folder with the old backup of Amadeus Pro.app. All other files will continue to be usable

markw

Post by markw »

That seems a bit odd :?:
I’m still on Mojave 10.14.6 here and have no problems at all exporting directly to iTunes Library using the current Amadeus Pro v2.8.5.
The only thing I can think would be to check to make sure; ‘Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library’, is enabled in iTunes's Advanced Preferences tab and has not been turned off.
macOS 10.15.7 | 15" Macbook Pro, 2017 | 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU | Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB | 16GB RAM | Wacom Intuos4 M

GregBass

Post by GregBass »

Thanks for the replies so far.

After the recent Amadeus Pro update to v2.8.5 I tried the "Export to iTunes Library" function again. Same result as in v2.8.4: nothing happens, no drop-down menu appears. The menu from which I selected the function simply vanishes. When I check in iTunes, the audio file has not been added.

In my iTunes advanced preferences, both ‘Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library’ and 'Share iTunes library XML with other applications' are ON.

I would rather stay up-to-date and install updates, so if possible I'd like to avoid going back to v2.7.x

I understand that peter77 has the same issue when running Amadeus Pro v2.8.4 or any v2.8.x. That makes two.... Any other users having this problem?

My system now:
iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
MacOS 10.14.6
iTunes 12.9.5.5
Amadeus Pro 2.8.5

yakima

Post by yakima »

Hi everybody. Well here we are in July 2022 and the problem still seems to exist. I am using an iMac running Big Sur and tried exporting a file containing markers to iTunes Library and nothing happens... no popup, nothing. I am using Amadeus Pro vsn 2.8.8

markw

Post by markw »

Since my last post in this thread above I have upgraded to Catalina, and I am still able to use the menu option Export to iTunes Library… without issue.
So I am still at a bit of a loss as to why this feature works for some users and not for others???
I would note here that this is not a feature I use in my workflow but have tried it just to see if it dose work.
In trying it, if the file being sent to iTunes/Music contains multiple track markers, those markers are ignored. Effectively meaning the file is treated as just one track.

In my normal workflow, to add contents to iTunes or the newer Music app, when the document is ready I always use one of two methods;
Sound > Split According to Markers… and save to my Desktop. I then open iTunes if it’s not already running and Drag & Drop the folder that was just created into the iTunes window.
Or alternatively to avoid the Drag & Drop step above, in the ‘Split According to Markers…’ window choose as the Save location ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Automatically Add to iTunes.
You need not take any further action once content has been added to this folder.
If you are using the newer Apple ‘Music’ app, there is also a similarly named folder called; ‘Automatically Add to Music’ you can use.
Neither iTunes nor Music permanently store content in either of these two “Automatically Add…” folders, they merely serve as an import point for the apps.
Both these methods keep multiple track albums intact.
macOS 10.15.7 | 15" Macbook Pro, 2017 | 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU | Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB | 16GB RAM | Wacom Intuos4 M

yakima

Post by yakima »

My workaround was to split the file at markers which of course worked. I then dragged the files into ‘Music’ which respected the names of the markers.

GregBass

Post by GregBass »

The workaround that both markw and yakima mention is indeed a normal workflow in the case of a larger audio file, where one wants to split it up in smaller portions (using markers) and then import all those fragments into iTunes. This workflow involves the intermediate step of saving all the fragments as (temporary) files outside of Amadeus Pro, then importing these into iTunes, then deleting the temporary files.

The problem that I and a few others have, occurs when one tries the much faster option of directly sending the current audio clip, in its total length, to iTunes — without saving it as a temporary file outside of Amadeus Pro, manually importing that file into iTunes and finally deleting the temporary file. For that scenario, Amadeus Pro has this handy and time-saving function 'Export to iTunes'. And it is this function that is not working for me and a few others.