USB turntable input: lost my access

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

bantawc

USB turntable input: lost my access

Post by bantawc »

I'm trying to use my USB input from my turntable. I’ve been using it for years with no problem. Then, one day I go to “Amadeus Pro -> Preferences -> Input” I get the available ports as: “Internal Microphone,”“Microsoft Teams Audio Device,” “iPhone (2) Microphone” and “iPhone (6) Microphone.” I have no access to my USB Turntable. I can't modify or delete anything. I tried to troubleshoot, but without any success and I am unable to proceed from there.

Help!

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Re: USB turntable input: lost my access

Post by Martin Hairer »

Does it show up in the Audio Midi Setup app? (Applications/Utilities)

bantawc

Post by bantawc »

You asked: “Does it show up in the Audio Midi Setup app? (Applications/Utilities)”

I should have mentioned that I'm using macOS 13.0.1 on my iMac desktop.

I am at your mercy here. I never heard of this app before and have no idea what It does, let alone why. I looked it up in my bible, “Mac OS - the Missing Manual” and went to “Window -> Show MIDI Window” and got an incomprehensible icon, “IAC Driver.” I learn that I can add and modify the “Make and Model,” but that gives me no help about what’s happening. All I want to do is record some music. I really really don't want to spend my days following inscrutable pathways in cyberspace, but I guess that’s what I got.

Can you help guide me through this muddle?

bantawc

Post by bantawc »

I am unable to use my turntable because Amadeus Preferences Input reports "Microsoft Teams Audio Device" Input is occupied by a "Virtual Port." Mr Harrier asked (Dec 12) if "the Audio Midi Setup app" shows up. I responded Yes, but I don't know how to proceed from here. It's been more than a week with no response, and I still have no clue about what to do now. Is there anyone out there who can help? Thanks!

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi, when you open the Audio MIDI Setup apop in Applications/Utilities you'll see a window called 'Audio Devices' with a list on the left. What is the content of that list?

bantawc

Post by bantawc »

I'm a little handicapped because I'm not familiar with this forum and unable to upload a screenshot, but under the Audio MIDI Setup app, Audio Devices, on the left I see no less than 6 entries:

Built-in microphone
Buily-in Output
Microsoft Teams Audio
Aggregate Device
iPhone (2) Microphone
iPhone (6) Microphone

Under Microsoft Teams Audio (2 ins/2 outs) I see on the right: “Output Source: Microsoft Teams Audio Device”

I hope that helps. Thanks!

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi, since none of them look like your USB turntable, it seems that it is not seen by the system. Either there is a hardware problem, or it requires some proprietary drivers that are missing. Since this appears to be a OS-level problem rather than an application specific one, if you make an appointment at the genius bar of your nearest Apple store they may have a better shot at diagnosing the problem.

bantawc

Post by bantawc »

I’ve had this problem twice before and it appeared with that “Microsoft Teams Audio” message under “Preferences” on Amadeus. Later it went away and the turntable signal reappeared and worked fine. For some reason I cannot locate a way to remove the Microsoft application resident on my machine this time. I did contact Apple at my local Apple Store, but they told me that the problem was likely at the Amadeus end and that they couldn't help me unless I lugged in my bulky desktop and turntable to their shop. Sigh. I checked to see if the hardware might be at fault, but I could not locate changes to my configurations. Oh, and I did reboot many times. Anyway, I think you’re right and I'm not done yet. I’ll get back to you as soon as I find out more from Apple or Microsoft. But really, thanks for your help!