Multi-Disc LP Sets to iTunes?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

cegreen

Multi-Disc LP Sets to iTunes?

Post by cegreen »

I have previously ripped a number of multi-disc CD sets to iTunes, and the result in iTunes is a single album entry with metadata in the form Disc 1: Track 1, Track 2...etc; Disc 2: Track 1, Track 2...etc.

So far, when digitizing LP sets with AP, I have been unable to replicate this. The Disc Number is not captured.

I have successfully used Split According to Markers for multiple tracks on a single disc, but I can't figure out how to get AP/iTunes to deal with LP multi-disc sets, of which I have many. Is it possible? If so, how?

I feel like I'm probably overlooking something obvious.

Many thanks for any help.

-Chris

cegreen

Re: Multi-Disc LP Sets to iTunes?

Post by cegreen »

Never mind, but thanks anyway - I finally figured it out for myself.

The answer: With a separate AP recording for each LP disc, put "Disc 1" etc in the "Metadata->Title" field and make the rest of the metadata consistent across all discs/recordings. When using AP's "Export to iTunes Library" function to upload each disc/recording separately, iTunes will consolidate all of the recordings into a single iTunes album, and show "Disc 1", "Disc 2" etc in the Album Info.

cegreen

Post by cegreen »

Actually, this issue is NOT resolved after all.

There is still a problem, namely:

When using AP’s “File->Export to iTunes Library” function, the metadata in the “Title” field (“Disc 1”, “Disc 2”, etc.) is maintained and passed along to iTunes, which displays it correctly. This is good.

Unfortunately, however, despite detailed markers in the AP file, there are no Tracks in iTunes when using this approach .

Alternatively, when using AP’s “Sound->Split According to Markers”, no matter which output format is selected, including .mp3 with id3v2.4, the Markers/Tracks are passed along correctly to iTunes, but the disc number metadata in the “Title” field is not.

So apparently the choice is between: a) having Title/Disc metadata, but no tracks, or b) having tracks, but no Title/Disc metadata.

Is there really no way to have both?

I’ve read the File Formats section of the AP manual, and I’ve repeatedly tested many of the available formats for “Split According to Markers”, and none of them capture the data in the “Title” field.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

-Chris

markw

Post by markw »

Unfortunately there is no field when editing a files metadata in AP for specifying Disc numbers for a multi track file that’s part of a multi disc album.

In AP each LP of a multi disc Album needs to be a separate multi track file.
For each of these files I will go to; Sound > ‘Show Sound Info’ and in the dropdown window go to ‘Metadata’ and fill in the these fields;
'Album' (here I will enter the album's name but with the numbers 1, 2, etc… added to the end of the album’s name to denote which LP in the album it is), and fill in; 'Artist', 'Year', and 'Genre'.
But leave empty the fields for; Title and Track.
Next I will use ‘Split to Markers’ to send the file directly to the ‘Automatically Add to iTunes’ folder. (But sometimes just to the Desktop and then manually drag it into iTunes).
In the 'Split to Markers' window, before exporting it, I always make sure that the Album name at the top of the window matches the Album name I previously entered into that file’s metadata earlier.
Then I hit the Split button.

Once they are in iTunes bring up the 'Album Info' window for each of the newly imported “Albums” and now add the Disc Number that "album" should be, i.e; 1 of 4 or 2 of 4, etc…
Next I remove the disc number that I had added to each of the "album" names when it was in AP.
Result, one multi disc album.

I hope that all makes sense :?: I know it sounds a bit long winded but once you are used to doing it’s actually fairly quick.
macOS 10.15.7 | 15" Macbook Pro, 2017 | 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU | Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB | 16GB RAM | Wacom Intuos4 M

mjzee

Post by mjzee »

I don't use Split to Markers. Rather, I save each track individually, then drag the tracks into iTunes. Once they're in iTunes, it's easy to specify 1 of 2 or 2 of 2.