"Generate Silence" shortens song?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

drjenkins

Post by drjenkins »

I was doing some editing today that involved selecting areas of a spoken word cassette transfer that should have been silent, using Effects : Generate Silence (by Duration of Selection), and thereafter redoing the action using Command-T.

As I was doing this I could see that the audio to the right of the selection area was shifting to the left as the action was taking place, i.e., the selection area was shrinking in duration as it was being processed to silence. Over the course of the editing session the track went from 10'18"150 to 10'17"122. Is this a known problem? Could it be some issue with Smart Editing or crossfading?

Mac Pro OS X 10.6.8, Amadeus Pro 2.1.2.

ioannis

Post by ioannis »

never noticed something like this, but could it be that using cmd-T just remembers the last used duration, as it does with the parameters of other effects?

I use my own shortcuts for frequently used commands, so they just behave like selected anew from the menu...

What happens if you make a shorter selection than the initial one? Does your duration get longer then?

drjenkins

Post by drjenkins »

This is very strange. I've moved back to my primary machine (Mac Pro early 2009 2.93 GHz) and I just tried to duplicate the problem but could not; the "generate silence" selection areas did not contract, whether using cmd-T or not. I'll have to wait until I get back to the other machine in the fall (Mac Pro early 2009 2.66 GHz) to see if I can reproduce the problem.
On Mar 6, 2013, at 12:01 PM, forum_list-request@hairersoft.com (forum_list-request@hairersoft.com) wrote:
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:14:29 -0500
From: ioannis <forum2mail@hairersoft.com (forum2mail@hairersoft.com)>
Subject: Re: "Generate Silence" shortens song?
To: forum_list@hairersoft.com (forum_list@hairersoft.com)
Message-ID: <1362532469.m2f.7282@www.hairersoft.com (1362532469.m2f.7282@www.hairersoft.com)>

never noticed something like this, but could it be that using cmd-T just remembers the last used duration, as it does with the parameters of other effects?

I use my own shortcuts for frequently used commands, so they just behave like selected anew from the menu...

What happens if you make a shorter selection than the initial one? Does your duration get longer then?

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

IME, the command-T will remember the duration, if the box is unchecked for Silence = length of selection.  AP definitely remembers different silence lengths as discreet steps  - you can select different ones from the Actions menu afterwards.  In my earlier version, they show up as Silence -1, Silence -2, etc.

--
Jim Edgar

jimedgarvoices@gmail.com (jimedgarvoices@gmail.com)
http://www.jimedgarvoices.com

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM, David Jenkins <drjenkins@mindspring.com (drjenkins@mindspring.com)> wrote:
This is very strange. I've moved back to my primary machine (Mac Pro early 2009 2.93 GHz) and I just tried to duplicate the problem but could not; the "generate silence" selection areas did not contract, whether using cmd-T or not. I'll have to wait until I get back to the other machine in the fall (Mac Pro early 2009 2.66 GHz) to see if I can reproduce the problem.
On Mar 6, 2013, at 12:01 PM, forum_list-request@hairersoft.com (forum_list-request@hairersoft.com) wrote:
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 20:14:29 -0500
From: ioannis <forum2mail@hairersoft.com (forum2mail@hairersoft.com)>
Subject: Re: "Generate Silence" shortens song?
To: forum_list@hairersoft.com (forum_list@hairersoft.com)
Message-ID: <1362532469.m2f.7282@www.hairersoft.com (1362532469.m2f.7282@www.hairersoft.com)>

ioannis

Post by ioannis »

just now noticed kind of the same, while working on new recorded material...

But also that it has to do with the clip's handling extremes/margins disappearing. (I can't move the clip farther or backwards any more).

I had them disappearing also another day (don't remember the exact circumstances), but it happens only if the clip is at the very beginning of a track, or is pulled to the very beginning, more than 0:00:000 to the left.

I make them reappear by copying the whole clip (click, cmd-A, cmd-C or cmd-X and then pasting it again on the/a track, on or after the 0:00 point). The moving margins then come back.

Though through all of this I didn't notice a displacement of the sound/timing. It may just be visual.

Smells like a bug.