Easiest way to eliminate one channel

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

drjenkins

Post by drjenkins »

I've got a bunch of music instruction audio which has a rhythm section on the left channel and saxophone on the right. I'd like to create new files with the left channel only, playing in the "center".

I opened a stereo file in Amadeus Pro, Tracks: Split to Two Mono Tracks, selected the bottom (right channel) and right-clicked "Delete Clip". At this point the left channel only remained, but it was panned to the left.

I converted the track to stereo, which centered it, then converted that back to mono.

When I do a "Save As..." I get a warning "The multitrack structure of the document will be altered".

This gives me what I want, but is there a simpler and more straightforward way of doing this, perhaps even a batch method? =

drjenkins

Post by drjenkins »

Also, doing it this way more than doubles the file size (you would think it would halve it)...Apple Lossless 9.6 MB original, 20.2 MB mono copy...
On Feb 16, 2020, at 2:41 PM, David Jenkins <drjenkins@mindspring.com> wrote:

I've got a bunch of music instruction audio which has a rhythm section on the left channel and saxophone on the right. I'd like to create new files with the left channel only, playing in the "center".

I opened a stereo file in Amadeus Pro, Tracks: Split to Two Mono Tracks, selected the bottom (right channel) and right-clicked "Delete Clip". At this point the left channel only remained, but it was panned to the left.

I converted the track to stereo, which centered it, then converted that back to mono.

When I do a "Save As..." I get a warning "The multitrack structure of the document will be altered".

This gives me what I want, but is there a simpler and more straightforward way of doing this, perhaps even a batch method?

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Dear David, in the second step, try choosing "Delete Track" (Tracks menu) rather than "Delete Clip". (The latter keeps the second track, it just fills it with silence.)

You can then centre the track by choosing "front" in the small "playback" menu next to the gears icon, rather than converting to stereo and back to mono. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

philxm

Post by philxm »

Another method which you might find simpler is to select the track that you want:

* Place cursor anywhere within that track, then Select All

Then copy it to a new file:

* if on Mac: cmd-shift-C

Then simply save into your preferred format.

On Feb 16, 2020, at 3:14 PM, Martin Hairer <Martin@HairerSoft.com> wrote:

Dear David, in the second step, try choosing "Delete Track" (Tracks menu) rather than "Delete Clip". (The latter keeps the second track, it just fills it with silence.)

You can then centre the track by choosing "front" in the small "playback" menu next to the gears icon, rather than converting to stereo and back to mono. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/