Recording sound from YouTube etc

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Dear all, I just wanted to let you know that the free virtual driver BlackHole now allows to record the output of any application using Amadeus. You can grab it at

http://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/BlackHole.zip

See the ReadMe file for installation and usage instructions. For real hackers, the source code can be obtained from

https://github.com/ExistentialAudio/BlackHole

Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/
Last edited by Martin Hairer on Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markw

Post by markw »

I confess I seldom post here but I am a long time user of AP and just wanted to say thank you Martin for doing this, what a great surprise!
Much appreciated! 8) :D

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Thanks! Just to clarify: I am not the author of BlackHole but ExistentialAudio are kind enough to license it under the GPL so that it can be redistributed freely. Regards,

Martin

--
HairerSoft
http://www.hairersoft.com/

chas_m

Re: Recording sound from YouTube etc

Post by chas_m »

That's great, thanks to ExistentialAudio! I have been using YouTube to MP3 from MediaHuman (which works fine), will check this out!
Cheers,
chas_m

Lou Kash

Post by Lou Kash »

Frankly, using BlackHole in this context only makes sense if you can't download the audio track by other means.

Whereas YouTube To MP3 will do the job within a few seconds by extracting the audio track in its orginal – i.e. usually lousy – "glory" as 128 kbps AAC.

If you are looking for best audio track quality, and you have several YouTube versions of the same track to choose from, then Amadeus Pro is actually a useful companion in the process, however:

Open the downloaded files in AP, select Analyze > Sonogram… for each (you can close the waveforms after that since you won't be editing anything; get Fission for lossless AAC editing instead), and compare all sonograms. Pick the track version which looks the "best" in the frequency range from 10 kHz upwards, i.e. the one that doesn't have too much of the upper part of the frequency spectrum "shaved off" by lousy lossy encoders. While usually you would want to use the logarithmic scale to view sonograms, in this very case the linear scale will be more helpful. To get the best visual impression, set Range to 99 dB, Gain ca. 30 dB, color preset Fire, image size 512, resolution 72, scale Linear, Px/semitone 4, max freq 22050, FFT size 16384, window Blackman.

mustbjones

Post by mustbjones »

I tried this. It sounds like the talker is standing in a reverb chamber. How do I fix this, or how do I delete Blackhole. There is no uninstaller int he package.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Did you set up a multi-output device as in the Readme but then leave playthrough checked when recording? This would produce such an effect. In any case, the readme also has uninstallation instructions.

mustbjones

Post by mustbjones »

I am not sure about "setting up a multi-output device" means. I followed the instructions; installed the plugpin (had to restart computer, not mentioned in ReadMe;) selected it in the System Preference Sound Tab; opened Amadeus Pro; chose Blackhole as input; and checked "playthrough ("- Tick the "Playthrough" checkbox and start recording.) You are saying that I have to NOT "tick" the playthrough check box? Thanks.

mustbjones

Post by mustbjones »

Turning off "Pass through" did the trick. Thanks.