Faster Way to De-Noise Vinyl Recordings?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

dcolacino

Faster Way to De-Noise Vinyl Recordings?

Post by dcolacino »

I really love how easy Amadeus Pro makes it to do fine noise removal work on recordings from vinyl. However, the process described in section 9 of the user manual indicates that each click or pop needs to be individually evaluated by the user (me). It also doesn't mention fine-tuning of the pop and crack removal feature, or whether the denoting settings are related to this aspect of noise removal.

I'm currently digitizing a double album from the '70s that has quite a few cracks and pops and I'd like a way to do an automatic pass to remove the vast majority of cracks and pops. Then I could go back and (hopefully) just fix a few that were not fixed adequately. Is there a way to do so that I've missed?

Thanks.

SSK_Kilo

Re: Faster Way to De-Noise Vinyl Recordings?

Post by SSK_Kilo »

If there's a function to do that, I'd be curious to know about it as well! I've already "cleaned" a couple old Soviet vinyls for my parents-in-law, but it was a long manual process.

philxm

Post by philxm »

I have had good success with the RX6 Declick plug-in from Izotope. It basically performs an Interpolation on signal portions that fall within user-set frequency parameters, and which the program determines to be blemishes.

I've found the controls confusing, but with trial-and-error have gotten good results especially with higher-frequency blemises, which are by nature very brief. Besides correcting those, at a high-frequency setting the program is very good at not overcorrecting. Lower-frequency blemishes are more troublesome, but those tend to occur less frequently (if you'll pardon the pun) in vinyl rips.

SSK_Kilo

Post by SSK_Kilo »

Thanks for your answer, I'll check it out!

nudge

Post by nudge »

The repair tool is one of my favourite features of Amadeus Pro. It does take a bit of time and effort but I'd rather do it manually and check the result as I go along than trust an automated plugin. I have recorded and edited thousands of vinyls by hand this way. That said, most of the vinyls were in very good condition. I wouldn't try to clean up an old crackly Jamaican 45 for example.

Sometimes while I'm doing this the zoom-in zoom-out view doesn't follow my trackpad gestures as smoothly as I'd like and it would save me time if that could be improved, but otherwise I'm very grateful for the repair feature in Amadeus Pro.
Last edited by nudge on Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.