Handling QuickTime multitrack audio files

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

vertigo58

Handling QuickTime multitrack audio files

Post by vertigo58 »

It's great that Amadeus imports QuickTime .mov files that contain multiple audio tracks.
However, the import process merges all the tracks into one stereo mix.
Is there any way to import the tracks and keep them separate ?
I used to use the 32-bit (and feature-rich) QuickTime player for this but of course 32 bit macOS support is history...

Cheers,
Peter

djwudi

Re: Handling QuickTime multitrack audio files

Post by djwudi »

I'd love to see this as well.

I occasionally like to grab samples from TV shows and movies that I've ripped from DVD or Blu-ray. Since (broadly speaking) dialogue tends to be mixed to the center channel, with effects and music mixed to the front L/R and surround channels, isolating the center channel tends to get the best quality samples. However, currently (as far as I know, at least) Amadeus Pro doesn't isolate multiple channels, just down mixes into stereo.

My current workaround is to open the .m4v file with Audacity, find the sample audio I want, copy it from the center channel track into a new file, save that to .aiff, and then open that in Amadeus Pro to do any final tweaking I want to do (this process is the only reason I have Audacity on my system at all). But I'd love it if I could just open a multi-channel audio file into discrete tracks rather than a stereo mix.

Thanks for considering this!