Waveform display evanescent zoom-dependent glitch

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

IrlSmith

Waveform display evanescent zoom-dependent glitch

Post by IrlSmith »

I am editing a vinyl recording with way too many tiny clicks to use the Repair Center, so I just scroll through with about ten seconds of the sound displayed and look for obvious glitches. Sometimes an obvious glitch is in fact not really there, as shown by zooming in a bit more. Is this (an aliasing effect of some kind) something that can be fixed? Here is the display showing the glitch:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/464a7yv1pqscc ... k.jpg?dl=0
and here, zoomed in just a little more, the glitch disappears (and it's not there even if I zoom all the way in):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gctci2eaw3enn ... k.jpg?dl=0
BTW, when I test the links I get not only the file but also a solicitation to join DropBox. Is there a way to have the image url I post here just open the image in a new window without all the foofaraw?
Irl

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Re: Waveform display evanescent zoom-dependent glitch

Post by Martin Hairer »

This can happen if there was a glitch there that has been removed, since it happens that the way in which the waveform summary (which is what you see at large zoom levels) keeps track of the changes doesn't always faithfully reflect the changes of the waveform itself. Having such a large discrepancy does look like a bug though, do you have a file you could share allowing you do reproduce this problem in a consistent way?

Regarding URL's, what you describe happens once you've been transferred to the Dropbox website, so is not under my control. (On my computer the images display just fine, presumably because I am already signed into my Dropbox account.)

IrlSmith

Post by IrlSmith »

I would be happy to upload the file (wav format). It's currently about 600 MB, but I can see whether a shortened version still exhibits the problem. Should I use DropBox again?
Irl

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Yes, if you could send me a Dropbox link to martin@hairersoft.com (to keep the file private) together with instructions on how to reproduce the glitch that would be great.

IrlSmith

Post by IrlSmith »

Well, this is a bit embarrassing; the phenomenon presented in a robust manner but now I can't reproduce it. I'll be working on the same file for a while and I'll try to capture a good example if it reappears.
Irl