Problems with selection and scrolling after 2.8.6 upgrade

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Nekoninda

Problems with selection and scrolling after 2.8.6 upgrade

Post by Nekoninda »

I just upgraded to version 2.8.6, and I now have problems selecting the desired portions of the audio, and with absurdly rapid, uncontrollable scrolling plus selection. I want to select a second of audio, and Amadeus has suddenly selected four seconds for me. Amadeus Pro is now unusable for me. I wonder if the bug fixes, related to the scrolling problem reported and discussed here in the forum about a month ago, have now caused an opposite problem on my computer. I will attempt to provide a screen recording of the behavior. The problems that I observe include these: When I click to set the insertion point, Amadeus sometimes doesn't respond. Sometimes it responds normally. Usually it responds as though I had clicked and dragged sharply to the right.

On the occasions when I click, and don't get rapid scrolling plus selection, _IF_ I move the mouse very slowly to the right, I can select a portion of the sound. However, if I continue to move and select slowly, suddenly the audio will begin scrolling rapidly, even though my mouse pointer is nowhere near the edge of the screen. I will have selected ten times what I intended. Releasing the mouse button leaves this excess selection highlighted. If I then click outside the highlighted area, I immediately get an even larger selection, with even faster scrolling. This is with a simple mouse click, no mouse movement at all. When I click and drag to the left, scrolling and selection continue rapidly to the right. Only if I very aggressively drag to the left can I reverse the selection direction, at which point it selects and scrolls very rapidly to the left.

I'm glad that I still have 2.8.5, which is still working for me. I'm using a MacBook Pro, macOS 10.14.6 Mojave with all updates.

Nekoninda

Re: Problems with selection and scrolling after 2.8.6 upgrade

Post by Nekoninda »

Is there any way to download 2.8.5, now that 2.8.6 is out? Since 2.8.6 doesn't work on my system, it would be nice to be able to install the previous version, 2.8.5, which did work for me, until it was replaced in the update process by version 2.8.6, which isn't usable on my system. Amadeus complains when I restore from my backup, that the file has been 'tampered with', and recommends that I download a new copy. But I see no way to download a new copy of 2.8.5.

This is not a rare situation. New versions often have undiscovered bugs, which affect some users and not others. It would be helpful to users, if we could download the immediately prior version, when we discover that the updated version has a fatal flaw on our system. This can affect different users at different times. On the download page, I can only find version 2.8.6 and 2.6.2 and older. I think you ought to provide a way to download the last two or three versions, with appropriate warnings, for those of us who are suffering unexpected problems.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Hi, could you give the version at https://www.hairersoft.com/Downloads/AmadeusPro.zip a try? This now starts scrolling only if the selected region is at least 40 pixel wide. This should retain the desirable features of the new behaviour (allowing to scroll even when in full screen mode) while removing the undesirable side effect you experienced.

Nekoninda

Post by Nekoninda »

Thank you, Martin. This new version 2.8.6 (2572) seems to work fine for me. I've tested it on multiple audio files, although only on a single computer and OS version. It has restored what I thought of as 'normal' behavior, and I am grateful to be able to use Amadeus Pro again. Thank you for taking the time to solve the problem that I was experiencing.