Question about fadings

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

mjzee

Question about fadings

Post by mjzee »

Let's say I have two adjacent songs - using Join Files, I see song #1 on the left and song #2 on the right. I want to fade out song #1 and, over the last three seconds of song #1, I want to begin song #2. I do not want to fade in song #2 - I want it to begin at full volume. How can I do this in Amadeus? I see options to fade out song #1 and fade in song #2, but I don't see how to fade out song #1 and begin song #2 at full volume. TIA.

CDJonah

Question about fadings

Post by CDJonah »

I don't know whether you got any response to this question.

The way I would do it is fade song one.  I would then load song two into
a different set of tracks and slide it relative the the first set of
tracks. Then flatten it and go. You could use the envelope command
insead of the fade command if you like

Chuck

On 11/11/19 3:08 PM, mjzee wrote:
Let's say I have two adjacent songs - using Join Files, I see song #1 on the left and song #2 on the right. I want to fade out song #1 and, over the last three seconds of song #1, I want to begin song #2. I do not want to fade in song #2 - I want it to begin at full volume. How can I do this in Amadeus? I see options to fade out song #1 and fade in song #2, but I don't see how to fade out song #1 and begin song #2 at full volume. TIA.

mjzee

Post by mjzee »

Thanks for the reply, Chuck. I'm not sure what "flatten" means - I don't see that command listed in the manual. I'd be curious to know more.

I think I have a workaround: Fade song one, then crossfade to the left for only a second. That will pretty much result in song two beginning at full volume.

Jonah, Charles D. via ...

Question about fadings

Post by Jonah, Charles D. via ... »

Sorry, I used the old nomenclature rather than the one the nomenclature
that Amadeus uses now -- which is bounce to a new file. The bounce
nomenclature was what was traditionally used in many sound-editing
programs. (I presume that it comes from the old analog sound editing
where one would send or "bonce" the different tracks to a new
track)Basically it will take the two sets of tracks (1and 2() combine
them into a new file with the left hand tracks combined and the right
hand tracks combined.

Chuck

On 11/13/19 6:50 PM, mjzee wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Chuck. I'm not sure what "flatten" means - I don't see that command listed in the manual. I'd be curious to know more.

I think I have a workaround: Fade song one, then crossfade to the left for only a second. That will pretty much result in song two beginning at full volume.

mjzee

Post by mjzee »

Interesting...would there still be a marker between the two tracks?

philxm

Question about fadings

Post by philxm »

I handle this type of situation all within a single track. I set a marker shortly before the start of a new song, select the last two seconds (of active sound, as opposed to 0 space) or so of the previous track, and fade that. I then listen back to see if the fade sounds natural.

Adjustments I make to improve an inadequate fade are to increase or decrease the selection area, and alternate between two of the four types of fadeout, Linear Amplitude and Smooth. You're free to try the others, of course, but I've found that if one of those two doesn't get me to where I want, the other one will.

mjzee

Post by mjzee »

I'll check out those two fadeouts. Thanks!

mjzee

Re: Question about fadings

Post by mjzee »

I'd like to request an addition to the Effects>Fading menu, that would accomplish what I'd like: fading out song #1 and, over the last X seconds of song #1, beginning song #2. I do not want to fade in song #2 - I want it to begin at full volume. The end result is what many DJs do: begin a song over the long fade of the prior song. Can this be added to a future version of Amadeus Pro?

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Re: Question about fadings

Post by Martin Hairer »

That's a good idea, thanks!