UV22HR

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

chris.com

UV22HR

Post by chris.com »

I do a lot of digitizing of vinyl records. I have a high-end turntable and phono cartridge. I also have a high end pre-amp and A-D converter. When I record, I do so at 24/96. Then, for listening and sharing purposes, I down sample to 16/44.1.

For the resolution and sample rate conversion, I've been using Apple Logic because they have UV22HR dithering.

I have had many folks tell me that, while this is nice and all, no one would be able to hear the difference. But since I'm investing so much time into this, I don't want to look back with regret and wish that I'd done something differently.

So my question is this:
If I change the resolution and/or sample rate of a recording, what algorithm is being used to execute that change? Is it every bit as good (or better?) as employing UV22HR in Logic Pro X?

If not, could this be a feature request for future versions of Amadeus Pro? I would certainly be willing to pay more for the convenience of not having to use two different audio production applications to process my vinyl transcriptions.

Thank you for any advice / consultation / insight.

-chris.com[/img]

chris.com

Re: UV22HR

Post by chris.com »

Bumpity bump?

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

At the moment, the conversion from floating point data (for editing) to 16-bit integers is done by simply rounding off. I do plan to add the option of adding a dither in the next major update.

chris.com

Post by chris.com »

Thanks very much for that information. And I'm looking forward to that! :-)

Are you planning to implement an existing algorithm like TPDF / MBIT+ / UV22HR or are you planning to engineer a HairerSoft solution?

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

I am planning to implement my own algorithm...