Spectral view

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

Lou Kash

Re: Spectral view

Post by Lou Kash »

In terms of Spectral tools, Izotope RX is much more evolved than any you mentioned.
Yes, it's pricey, but the implementation and restoration tools are significant. If you are doing that type of work, it's likely worth the investment.
Yeah, they are currently on sale, but for sonogram editing I would apparently need at least RX Standard.

Having just finally upgraded from Logic 9 to Logic X a month ago ($200), plus getting massively discounted Helix Native as well (as a Line 6 HX Stomp owner for just $70), buying RX for $300 is already over my budget since audio editiing is not even my main occupation.
And if I want to move to Catalina full time, I'll have to spend another few hundreds of CHF for a new 8-channel audio interface as well, since my trusty "old" Alesis iO26 Firewire won't do a beep on Catalina either. Oh well.

But thanks for the heads up anyway: I might actually get RX Elements since its just $30 at the moment. I'm a long time user of ClickRepair & DeNoise, but its future appears to be rather uncertain as well at the moment: https://clickrepair.net

Jim Edgar

Post by Jim Edgar »

Gotcha... I'll let you navigate that budget.
:wink:
As far as Elements - it goes on sale in the $29 range from time to time, and then you can usually find a discounted upgrade option to Standard every quarter or so. If it's not essential, that can be a moderately more economical path to getting it.
The "DeClick" in RX Elements is the "old" version which came through RX5. In RX6, they created a much more refined algorithm called "Mouth DeClick" which is tuned to mouth noise.
Since I'm doing VO full time, I greatly appreciate the latter...

Both versions are in the "Standard" (and Advanced) versions of the current RX (RX8). They (along with a few other RX tools) also show up as AU plugins, so can be applied to within AP.

Lou Kash

Post by Lou Kash »

BUT…
While browsing iZotope's website I've discovered new freebies called Visual Mixer and Relay. I've been already using Ozone Imager a lot in Logic, but this visual mixing takes it to another level. Still works on El Capitan, too.

And it works in AP multitrack mode as well:
  • add Relay to each stereo track as real-time effect
  • create an empty "master" stereo track and add Visual Mixer as real-time effect
  • mix your all stereo tracks from there
Brilliant. Works only with stereo tracks though.

But yeah, the RX: I'll have to reboot the Mac in Catalina to check out the trial. Doesn't work on El Capitan anymore.

Lou Kash

Post by Lou Kash »

Now that's amazing: not only does the RX 8 Elements demo run on El Capitan, the sonogram editor seems to be included as well! What it doesn't have is the "instant process" feature, i.e. while you have a free selection lasso and brush, you have to use the Gain utility to reduce or increase the amplitude.

frwill

Post by frwill »

I'd like to cast a vote for spectral view as well, either separate (as in Audition or ocenaudio) or superimposed on the wave view (with variable transparency, as in Izotope). I use Amadeus for marking clips for spectral analysis elsewhere, and I need to select spectrally uniform regions.