how do I set file recording format?

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

rpitcairn

how do I set file recording format?

Post by rpitcairn »

If I am recording from a tape player and want to have the saved file be mono track and mp3 format, how do I set that up? I don't find anything in the manual about doing that. I do see "record to new document" and I can specify the output but do I need to do that every time? Or can I set up permanent preferences that will come up when I hit the record button.

Thanks,
— Richard

markw

Re: how do I set file recording format?

Post by markw »

I always start my recordings via Sound > ‘Record to New Document…’ with ‘Save While Recording’ selected.
Choices made within the ‘Record to New Document…’ window are “sticky” and remembered the next time round.

If you are using File > ‘New Sound Document’, then I believe it takes it’s defaults for; Sampling Rate, Sampling Depth and Channels (this is where you can set Mono or Stereo) from what has been set in AP’s; Preferences > Sound > ‘Default Format for New Files’.
Only on Saving files recorded with this option you can then specify a Format like mp3, etc… and any detailed settings applicable to the chosen format.
Again, from memory, these format specific choices are generally “sticky” too.

Personally I always record to Amadeus Pro’s own format which is loss less. And do any required clean up and editing still in said format.
Only when entirely finished working on a file will I then export it at the required compression to a lossy format, like mp3, etc… and make any format specific export choices then.
macOS 10.15.7 | 15" Macbook Pro, 2017 | 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU | Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB | 16GB RAM | Wacom Intuos4 M