Play button (suddenly) not working

Discussion forum for Amadeus users

Moderator: Martin Hairer

musicalbox23

Play button (suddenly) not working

Post by musicalbox23 »

Hello all -

All of the sudden, my play button won't work. Either using my keyboard or clicking the Play button with the mouse. The arrow turns from green to red, but that's it. Nothing else happens. Won't play any files at all. Was working fine this morning.

What did I do? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Amadeus 2.8.8
MacOS 11.6
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
3.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

musicalbox23

Re: Play button (suddenly) not working

Post by musicalbox23 »

I forgot to mention that I uninstalled / reinstalled just before I wrote this post. FWIW

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

Does the playback head move and the playback position count forward?

musicalbox23

Post by musicalbox23 »

No it does not.

If I call up an AU effect and hit Preview, the files plays as expected. Other than the Play button changing form green to red, nothing else changes (that I have seen) when I hit Play

I took a screen cap but don't see a way to attach it.

Thank you.

Martin Hairer
Site Admin

Post by Martin Hairer »

That's strange... Have you tried simply rebooting?

musicalbox23

Post by musicalbox23 »

yes. rebooting. uninstall / reinstall. everything I can think of.

Editing works. Save, copy, etc are all fine.

Start, End and Length boxes reflect the current cursor location and selected region size

I just can't get any audio file to play.

musicalbox23

Post by musicalbox23 »

Thoughts or suggestions?

musicalbox23

Post by musicalbox23 »

Hello?

alecstune

Post by alecstune »

Hi - I have a very similar problem. I suddenly have many recordings I cannot access.

The 'Play / Pause' button at the top of the document window has no effect on an existing file loaded from disc. The button turns red with a square when clicked, and a second click reverts it correctly. The same is true of the Playback Controller button. A similar effect happens with the 'Record sound' button; it brings up a record dialog, but it sticks at zero time and fails to advance.

The timeline is also corrupted. Dragging the blue time scale display bar displays inverted time in the top of the window and in the Playback Controller. End of file is shown as zero time, and start of file is shown as the end time.

This change of operation has happened recently. Certainly on the 14 June 2022 (and possibly as late as 22 June) it was working normally. I haven't used Amadeus since until today (9 Aug 2022), and now no amount of restarting Amadeus or re-booting seems to be able to fix the issue. The macOS has been updated at least once since the last time Amadeus worked correctly, and is now 11.6.8 (the latest Big Sur). I have seen the issue a few months ago with unresponsive controls, but a re-boot appeared to fix it. I have not found so far any other functions that do not work, except maybe for preview of an effect.

I have an old MacBook Air that cannot update to Monterey.

Machine: MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014, A1466), 8 GB memory. No modifications.
macOS: 11.6.8
Amadeus Pro: 2.8.8

Help much appreciated.

alecstune

Post by alecstune »

This is a follow up to my previous post.
Deleting and re-installing Amadeus Pro did not help. Re-installing the system software (macos 11.6.8) did not fix the problem. Deleting the entire disk and recovering from a Time Machine backup did fix the problem, and it has now not recurred over several weeks of use. It does not seem to be sensitive to different versions of 11.6 (I explored several), and indeed is now working correctly with version 11.7. I'm at a loss to explain what happened, and can only speculate about some disk corruption.
Amadeus Pro is a really superb tool for manipulating audio, and long may it continue.